Friday, June 8, 2012

Summer Shakedown...Murphy's Law Strikes Again!

        Do you remember in my first blog when I told you how no matter how much planning I do something almost always goes wrong? Well I figured I would give a fine example while also giving some fun ideas for welcoming your school aged student to summer break! As a surprise I decided I would ambush my son with water balloons as he came stepping off the bus from his last day of school. I filled up water balloons for a half hour and decorated the back of my car to say "Welcome To Summer!" Chris and Ki were more than willing to help with the task of filling the balloons with water to prepare for their big brother's ambush. We filled A LOT. I could not wait to arrive up the hill at his bus stop with the back of my vehicle facing the road for him to read. I had the bin full of balloons sitting in the seat ready for attack. Chris and Ki were in their swimming trucks waiting for the water balloon fight. Everything was perfect. As I was about to get in the car to drive up to the bus stop I received a phone call....


Chris and Ki helping fill balloons.

 
Ok, So here is where Murphy's Law is always rearing its ugly face in my direction. As I said, I got a phone call. It was the school. My son missed the bus and he was waiting up at the office. The secretary informed  me that they had already tried calling about  15 minutes earlier but since I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off I left the phone inside and missed the call. My heart sank. At that moment all that was in my head was my poor baby is up at the school by himself waiting. What a horrible mother I am. I threw Chris and Ki in the car. I buckled them all up (including the patiently waiting bin of water balloons) and headed up to the school. Luckily the school is only about 1 1/2 miles away so I was there fairly quickly. As soon as I arrived at the school I realized Chris and Ki were still only in their swim trunks. No shirts. No shoes. Just wet swimming trunks. Crap. Obviously I can't leave my babies in the car so I unbuckled my half nude boys and the three of us walked proudly into Topsail Elementary School...soaking wet. Now at this point embarrassment took a backseat to retrieving my sweet baby who was waiting patiently for us in the office. I do not think I will ever forget the look on his face when his brothers and his mom walked into school in their bathing suits. He looked confused. So confused. As soon as I knew I had him and he was safe I was wondering how I could possibly make up for not being able to ambush him. I mean the surprise is going to be blown as soon as he sees the car, hops in and wonders why there is a bin of water balloons buckled safely in his seat. Luckily, I parked close to the entrance so as soon as we made it out the door I booked it to the car. Looking back now Isaiah probably thought his mother was crazy. I made it to the car and grabbed a balloon, I turned around and whipped it at his feet. He cracked up immediately and asked where I got it. I showed him the entire bin of balloons and told him that we were to have a water balloon fight when he got home. He was so excited. We got home and the war started. Even though things certainly did not pan out the way it did in my head I still think this will be a memorable last day of school for Isaiah. From missing the bus and waiting in the office, to family arriving at school in drenching wet bathing suits with a major water balloon fight at the end--this certainly will be something I will never forget. It would be nice for things to work out how I plan them... but if they did it wouldn't be MY life. My life is full of quirks, imperfections and at times catastrophes but it also adds come color and some definite lasting memories. Below is a list of ideas you can do to surprise your little one on their last day of school! Happy Summer Everyone!







Last Day Of School Celebration Ideas or Inspirations
  • Water Balloon Ambush
  • Silly String Ambush
  • A Run Through Banner saying "Schools Out" , "Congrats" , "Welcome to Summer" or whatever you can think of!
  • Place a banner and hook up all of your outdoor water toys for when they arrive.
  • Go on a surprise trip as soon as they arrive.
I truly hope I gave you all a little laugh today and hopefully some inspiration on how to make the last day of school special. I spent $2.50 for supplies (balloons and car paint) so it didn't break the bank. Thanks again for reading! HAPPY SUMMER!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment